What's Under Your Paddle Board?
Marine Biology Resource Guide
Plants & Algae
- Phylum Cnidaria: A guide to the diverse forms of jellyfish.
- Ctenophores: A guide to ctenophores. These animals are found in the majority of marine habitats.
- The Pompeii Worm: A collection of resources about the Pompeii worm.
- Phylum Arthropoda: Provides a descriptive history of the species.
- Porifera: A factsheet on sponges and other groups in the classification.
- Fish Anatomy: Illustration of external fish anatomy.
- External and Internal Fish Anatomy: A detailed description of the anatomy of the large mouth bass.
- Electric Fish: Explains what is an electric fish and what makes them electric.
- Bony Fish: Detailed description of bony fish and images describing the anatomy.
- Green Sea Turtle: The largest hard-shelled sea turtle in the world and lives in warm tropical oceans.
- Diamondback Terrapins: This species of turtle is the only turtle to live in habitats such as saltwater marshes, costal bays and lagoons in the United States.
- Marine Iguanas: Learn about the behavior of these lizard like reptiles.
- Australian Saltwater Crocodile: A classification fact sheet of the habitat, appearance and breeding behaviors of the Australian Saltwater Crocodile.
- Sea Birds: A detailed description of the seabirds in the Galapagos region.
- Seabird Flash Cards: 18 seabird flash cards providing informational fact sheets about each bird.
- Glaucous-winged Gull: Image gallery of the Larus glaucescens.
- Red-faced Cormorant: This seabird lives in the seas of the Alaskan coast.
- Blue Whale: A description of the largest mammal and creature to ever live on earth.
- Sirenia: This mammal is related to the elephant and is known as the sea cow.
- Sea Otter: A classification fact sheet on the sea otter.
- Sea Mammals: Descriptions of the 7 different sea mammals.
- Polar Bear: This marine mammal lives only in the northern hemisphere.
- Sea Lion: A brief summary about one of the rarest sea lion species in the world, the Australian sea lion.
- Virtual Silurian Reef: Learn about the geological principles of the Silurian reef and take a virtual tour of the reefs.
- Coral Reefs: A guide to all things coral reef from the importance to the conservation of coral reef.
- Types of Reefs: A guide to the four types of coral reefs including a video.
Deep Sea & Trenches
- The Deep Sea: Explains what the deep-sea is and the inhabitants that dwell in the deep-sea.
- Pelagic Zone: A guide to the pelagic zone in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
- Deep Sea Habitats: An incredible amount of information and research studies about deep-sea habitats and adaptations.
- Ocean Habitats: Take a tour of the open ocean and coral reefs.
- Open Ocean: The Sanctuary Integrated Monitoring Network describes the habitat of the three northern California open water sanctuaries.
- The Open Ocean: Get to know the home to many organisms and the changes that take place in the open ocean.
Intertidal & Shore
- California's Rocky Intertidal: A summary of the original article from the California Coastal Resource Guide. Illustrates the conditions of the Rocky intertidal zones.
- Rocky Shores: A scientists perceptions and understanding of the ecological interactions of the Rocky shores.
- Mangroves: Mangrove trees grow on tropical shores. This paper describes the tropical shores that house these forests.
- Intertidal Zone: Describes the common habitat of marine animals and plant life in this zone.